Village of Orland Park Prepares for the Winter Season (Orland Park, IL) — With the anticipated seasonal snowfall on the horizon, the Village of Orland Park Public Works Division shares its annual checklist of snow associated reminders.
“I do know that all the Village’s plowing crews respect residents’ cooperation as they work to maintain Village streets secure and accessible,” stated Mayor Keith Pekau.
Parking is prohibited on Village streets as soon as two inches of snow has fallen. Parked automobiles have to be saved off the streets for 10 hours after a snow occasion, giving Village crews time to clear the thoroughfares. And, residents are reminded to by no means push shoveled snow into avenue, as an alternative inserting it on facet lawns.
“The most important hindrance our drivers face is parked automobiles on residential streets,” stated Public Works Director Joel Van Essen. “When residents realize it’s going to snow, we ask that they remember to transfer all parked automobiles so the plows can clear your entire avenue.”
Owners are requested to not shovel or blow the wind row or different snow on the finish of the driveway again into the road.
“When clearing their driveways, residents ought to push the snow onto the parkway or onto their lawns,” Van Essen stated. “When individuals push the snow again into the road, it turns into packed and freezes, creating an pointless hazard on the finish of their driveway.”
Those that require help with shoveling ought to register for the Village’s Snow Angel program. Orland Park seniors or people with disabilities can be supplied with an entire checklist of accessible volunteers of their space upon request. The resident is then answerable for contacting volunteers from the checklist and for scheduling companies straight with the volunteer. The volunteer is answerable for finishing the duty or notifying the resident if they’re unable to finish the work. Seniors or people with disabilities can register for this system by filling out the web request type at orlandpark.org/snowhelp or by calling 708/403-5000.
Orland Park’s snow elimination crews plow and salt greater than 250 miles of roads all through the Village. The fleet contains 22 Village-owned vans plowing and salting pre-designated routes.
“If persons are bodily ready, we encourage them to shovel out the hearth hydrants on their blocks,” Pekau stated. “Clearing out the hydrants from the road makes it simpler and sooner for the Orland Fireplace District to get to them.”
The Village gives a Hydrant Helpers program that gives group service hours to those that help within the clearing of snow from hydrants. Go to orlandpark.org/hydranthelpers for extra data.
An integral a part of combating a snowstorm is avenue salting. In Orland Park, first precedence is given to the principle streets with greater pace limits and heaviest year-round site visitors, adopted by secondary thoroughfares and cul-de-sacs. Orland Park is ready to retailer greater than 4,000 tons of salt underneath a protecting cowl all year long.
When a storm begins, day or evening, Village of Orland Park Public Works crews are promptly mobilized and dispatched. Throughout bigger snow occasions, the Village makes use of contractors to complement current employees to help with cul-de-sacs and dead-end streets. The kind of storm, anticipated accumulation, anticipated length, and different variables akin to wind, drifting and temperature dictate how the particular snow plowing operation will progress.
“A very powerful factor we ask is that residents be affected person. All the streets within the Village can be cleared in as brief a time as potential, because the storm permits,” the director added. “As soon as the snowfall stops, it will probably take a number of hours to push all the accrued snow to the curb.”
The primary precedence of the snow elimination course of is to make sure public security. It’s crucial to clear major roads to supply mobility and entry for police, fireplace, and ambulatory exercise. All Village-owned streets can be plowed together with facet streets and cul-de-sacs. Please remember that a number of state and native companies apart from the Village are answerable for snow elimination on some roads. View a map snow plowing jurisdictions at orlandpark.org/snowremoval.
Do you need to see when your avenue was final plowed or when the plow is on its technique to your location? Take a look at the brand new snow tracker characteristic on the Village’s web site to view all plow areas and a timeline of roadways they’ve already handed. The brand new Village of Orland Park Snow Tracker software is offered on-line at orlandpark.org/plowtracker. Use the Village OP311 system to report harmful highway situations or weather-related considerations at orlandpark.org/op311. Customers should register so as to enter a ticket for overview.
ORLAND PARK’S TOP TEN SNOW TIPS
- Village ordinance prohibits parking on Village streets as soon as two inches of snow has fallen.
- Parked automobiles have to be saved off of the streets for 10 hours after it has stopped snowing.
- When clearing the driveway, residents ought to place snow on both facet of the driveway—on the garden—and by no means on the street.
- Residents ought to preserve rubbish cans and recycle bins from rolling into the road on rubbish pick-up day.
- Designate curbs with 5 free stakes out there from the Public Works Division, 15655 South Ravinia Avenue.
- Digging from the road, filter out hydrants so that fireplace personnel can simply entry them if needed.
- Snowplow drivers make a number of passes to push the snow to the curb line. The final move typically occurs a number of hours after the snow has completed falling. Plow drivers attempt to clear roads as much as the curb so the out there highway width will not be diminished resulting from snowfall. It’s endorsed to attend to do a ultimate curb line clearing till the snowplow driver has made his final curb move in entrance of your residence.
- Be affected person. Each storm is completely different with many variables. Streets could must be plowed greater than as soon as.
- Talk with the Public Works Division. Report any ice formations on the road in order that they are often salted. Clear the snow from storm sewers in entrance of your own home so melting snow can simply drain, stopping ice patches.
- Mailboxes must be saved in good restore and be positioned at the very least one foot behind the curb to keep away from injury. It’s the residents’ duty to clear a secure path round mailboxes to make sure supply. Owners’ associations are answerable for clearing the realm round cluster mailboxes.
“The Village’s crews take nice satisfaction of their work. Village workers work to make the streets as secure as potential for the motoring public,” Van Essen stated.
Additional details about Orland Park’s Snow Elimination Program is offered on-line at orlandpark.org/snowremoval or by calling the Village’s Public Works Division at 708/403-6350.
Village of Orland Park Prepares for the Winter Season